Sunday, May 10, 2009

Plants & Packing Peanuts

S: Styrofoam can be good for nature...sort of. I had three antique food crocks from my mom's side of the family and wanted to use them as planters, but I didn't want to drill holes in the bottom of them for drainage. I had heard you could use styrofoam packing peanuts in potted plants to aide in drainage. I filled the bottom of the containers about 1/4 to 1/3 full with peanuts (making sure I used the non-biodegradable kind). Then I filled the rest up with dirt. The peanuts help prevent the roots from rotting by keeping them out of standing water and they also make the planter much lighter. I did this with some of my indoor plants too. Poor drainage is a huge no-no for potted plants but there are so many fun things to use as planters that don't have holes in the bottom! This way you can cheat a little and still have healthy plants in decorative planters.






This is an old ceramic herb drawer that used to hold chickoree (according to the faded label). Now it's home to one of my house plants!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'll keep this in mind for the future. I definitely have pots without holes in the bottom. And I love the herb drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, where did you get those great crock pots!!
    I wish I had some like that :0)

    ReplyDelete