Sunday, December 20, 2009

Letters to Santa


This year, in lieu of traditional Christmas cards, I decided to make postcards. This allowed me to save a little time and money, but still create something personal. The only negative was that there was no room for a return address, so hopefully they all reached their destination!

I started by creating my own font at fontcapture.com. I printed out an alphabet sheet, filled in each letter with my handwriting, then scanned and uploaded it to fontcapture. Very simple, and free! Using my personalized font, I created the postcards in Illustrator, making sure they met the proper specifications for mailing. I chose Luke 2:10-11 for the message on the back of the card.


After seeing this project on another blog, I decided to order the Cozy Village stamp and use it to make some luminaries as well as my postcards.

Up until making these postcards, I had no experience with embossing stamps. However, I had two unopened jars of embossing powder that I had accidently purchased several years ago, thinking they were glitter. Like I said, no experience. But it was a happy mistake, especially since the colors I had were silver and gold, and worked perfect for Christmas. I did have to by a heat gun to set the embossing powder, but was able to get one 40% off with a Joann's coupon. If you craft and have a Joann's nearby, sign up to receive their emails, they send out coupons weekly. Or you can get a job at Round Rock ISD...Zach recently found out, and bravely shared with me, that RRISD employees get a 15% discount. I foresee many more trips to Joann's in Zach's future.

Back to the postcards...I printed my postcards on plain green and red cardstock, four to a page, and cut them out with a paper cutter. Then I stamped the front of each with the Cozy Village stamp in black ink. Some I left plain ink, and some I embossed.


I also made three vellum luminaries. I embossed one in silver, one in gold, and left the third plain ink. With an LED tea light in side, the embossed images show up a little bit better than the plain ink, which was actually absorbed a bit into the vellum.


1 comment:

  1. your cute card made it to England okay! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete