Friday, March 19, 2010

Gluten Free Fig Cookies

I came up with a gluten free version of my great grandmother Sarah's fig cookie recipe. My dad has a serious sweet tooth, but has Celiac disease and can't eat gluten, so I made these as a special treat for his birthday.



Filling ingredients:
1 pkg dried figs (I used Calimyrna figs)
Raisins
1 navel orange
Spices (optional)

Dough ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rice flour
2 tsp guar gum
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Ground nutmeg (optional)

Cut the stems from the dried figs and soak in warm water for a few minutes. Drain well. Grind in food processor along with a handful of raisins and some orange zest. Set aside.



Combine dough ingredients in food processor until it forms into a ball. If you're lucky, you may be able to roll the dough out. I had to press it in to place to keep it from crumbling/sticking to the countertop.

Place a line of fig filling at the edge of the dough. Roll dough over filling and cut off excess dough. You should have a long roll of dough filled with fig. Cut the roll into 2 inch segments and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.




The fig came out tasty but the rice flour makes for a pretty powdery cookie. So I think I will keep experimenting for a better alternative, maybe tapioca flour. My dad also suggested a gluten free pizza dough mix he likes, which might work with a little sugar added. I'll let you know how my next batch turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment