Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Garden Planters

I've been busy with spring projects...
No, not that kind of busy.

My mom, master of finding valuable items in the trash, found six of these white plastic planters, and gave me three of them for our patio.


I cleaned them up and gave them a coat of metallic spray paint, the kind that binds to plastic. Then they sat empty on the patio for a few months, until the weather warmed up and I felt motivated to plant something. I filled one of the planters with herbs: sage, oregano, mint, and basil.


With only four herbs, you'd think we could remember which one was which. True. But I look for any excuse to start a craft project, so I made garden markers.


It was a pretty simple project. I bought a roll of copper sheeting, copper wire, and a paint pen at the craft store.



First, I drew my shape and cut it out of a piece of cardstock. Then I taped it to the copper to keep it in place while cutting. The copper is thin enough that you can use regular scissors to cut your shape out. After I cut out all four shapes, I sanded any sharp edges. Using a mechanical pencil (without the lead sticking out), I wrote the plant names into the copper. I then went in with the paint pen and filled in the letters so that they would stand out.


Zach helped solder the wire to the back of each label and they were ready to go!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! You'll have to teach me how to make the garden markers. I keep stepping on mine and they're getting really bent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I just saw this done with spoons too!

    ReplyDelete