Friday, May 28, 2010

Wall Art

We've had a blank wall across from our bed since we moved in, and I wanted to paint some word art for the space. Zach and I ended up choosing two bible passages: Titus 2:11-14 and Philippians 4:6-8.

I already had all the materials I needed on hand:

canvases
gesso
acrylic paint (white, raw sienna, raw umber)
blending medium
art sponges
small paint brush
transfer paper

Using gesso, I added a little texture to the canvases. Once the gesso had dried, I painted the canvases a solid cream color. Then I mixed some raw umber paint with a little blending medium, and used an art sponge to apply a dark wash.

I don't have the best handwriting, so I printed the verses out to the size of my canvas, then used transfer paper to trace the letters on to the canvas.



Using a very small brush, I went back and painted over the letters. After the paint dried, I used a brush and a little water to wipe away any lines leftover from the transfer paper. I added one more wash of paint to finish.


3 comments:

  1. Your patience and creativity amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Good work, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful verses and beautiful work!!! Mrs. W

    ReplyDelete