Saturday, January 8, 2011

On a Pedestal

We have an area in our living room with a bay window. It sits empty most of the year with the exception of a Christmas tree in December. I've had an image in my mind of a nice little sitting area, with two upholstered armchairs, and a round glass-topped pedestal table tucked between them. Perfect for playing Scrabble on.

Picture something like this (sans prairie grass)
Image source

or this set from Young House Love, minus the modern chairs
or a scaled down version of this

Image source

As with  most of my design or craft ideas, I had a pretty specific image in mind. Let's just say I'm stubborn about my artistic visions. I searched online, on Craigslist, and at Goodwill, but never had any luck. Then, a few months ago, I found the exact table I was looking for in a catalog! Isn't it pretty?


Unfortunately, it was $200, not including the cost of shipping. And buying a glass top would add even more to the cost. So I just stored it in my mental catalog of decor ideas and kept looking.

Fast forward to last week when I went into my local resale shop looking for a cake dome. I got out of the car and there it was in front of the store. I went straight to the counter and told them very politely "I would like to buy that round pedestal table, please," all the while looking over my shoulder to make sure no other shoppers were eyeing MY table. And did I mention that it came with a glass top? For $25, I was pretty darn excited about my find! I will probably paint it white but haven't quite decided yet.


Now to find two armchairs...

No comments:

Post a Comment