Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade lip balm

I decided to make my own lip balm after reading this blog post on Design Sponge. The recipe seemed simple enough, and called for just a few ingredients: beeswax, coconut oil, and essential oil.




I already had some coconut oil on hand and purchased the beeswax from Heavenly Harvest on Etsy. I also purchased some essential oil on Amazon. The best price I found for lip balm containers was at Sunburst Bottle Co., where I purchased several plastic containers for just 30 cents each.


To make approximately 2 containers (20 ml) of lip balm, you will need:

2 tablespoons beeswax, grated
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2-3 drops essential oil
A glass container with a spout and handle (I used a Pyrex measuring cup), a medium sized pot, a metal spoon and water

1) Fill the pot with a few inches of water and bring to a boil
2) Grate the beeswax. I used a cheese grater.
3) Add the beeswax and coconut oil to your glass container and place in the pot of boiling water.
4) As the beeswax and coconut oil begin to melt, stir to incorporate. Allow the beeswax to melt completely.
5) Remove from heat and add essential oil. Stir.
6) Pour into container and cover with lid. Let cool. Lip balm will be solid at room temperature.


You can experiment with the amount of beeswax and coconut oil to get the consistency you want. A good rule of thumb is 2 parts beeswax to 1 part coconut oil. Likewise, you can add more or less essential oil, depending on how strongly scented you want your lip balm.

I also created labels for the lip balm containers. You can download a free pdf of the labels here.



This funny little tool is a Fiskars circle cutter. It can cut circles from 1" to 8", so it's perfect for jam jar labels or, in this case, lip balm labels. I also opted to buy the circle cutter guide, which makes it a lot easier to line up the cutter around your object.


4 comments:

  1. wow, it looks amazing! are you going to sell them? because I want to buy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat idea! I have thought about making lip balm in the past but I'm pretty much addicted to Burt's Bee's Lip Balm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! I've been wanting to try making some lip balm … I am going to have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy. I love lip balm!

    ReplyDelete