Saturday, February 26, 2011

Homemade Wheat Crackers


I started baking my own bread last month and was contemplating an attempt at homemade crackers when I came across this recipe for wheat thins. I took it as a good sign, especially after seeing how basic the ingredient list was:

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for topping
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

I added all the dry ingredients to my stand mixer and whisked until incorporated. Next I stirred in the butter, water, and vanilla. You will probably need more than the 1/4 cup of water called for in the recipe; I added water slowly until the dough stuck together and clung to the whisk.

Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, about 1/16" thick. (They key here is for all the crackers to be a consistent thickness, so they bake evenly.) Cut the dough into squares using a pizza cutter.

Transfer the crackers to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. You'll want to keep a close eye on them so they don't burn.

This recipe was incredibly easy, and the dough rolled out perfectly. I will definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment