Friday, October 28, 2011

Housewarming

We've been in our new house for about four months now and decided it was time to have a housewarming party. I admit our house is nowhere near complete, but if we waited for everything to be perfect we would never have a party. We kept it simple with light finger foods and sandwiches.


The new counters in action!

I managed to dig out some fall decor from one of our many yet-to-be-unpacked boxes, and couldn't resist picking up this skeleton garland I found at the dollar store.





























I added a simple handmade touch to the decor by cutting leaves out of an old paperback book. Yes I cut up a book. Books are very special to me and I would usually cringe at this idea. I can't even stand when people dog-ear pages. Therefore I made sure to choose a book for which I would feel no remorse destroying, and bought a romance novel at Goodwill....let's just hope no one reads those leaves too closely. I'm sure the word "member" makes an appearance.





I printed out images of three leaves onto cardstock, then cut them out and used them as my template. This is pretty quick to do if you cut out more than one page at a time. I could fit about two leaves per page, and kept some full pages with a single cut-out in the middle. I got the idea from the fall Pottery Barn catalog.

Source

Before the party, I asked Zach to core and cut some granny smith apples for the pumpkin dip I was making. I went back to our bedroom to get dressed and when I came back out to the kitchen I found this:


Yep, power tools were involved. Zach had attached the apple corer to the drill! His response to my laughter, "What? It goes waaayyyy faster this way."


The weather was clear and sunny, but not too hot; we were actually able to spend some time outside on the patio.




My Sicilian uncle, giving the camera the stink eye

Thanks to all our friends, family, and neighbors who came to celebrate with us!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are so creative Sarah, and make such a beautiful home! I am so impressed!!

    ReplyDelete