Monday, October 31, 2011

Laundry room progress

Before

After

The laundry room is the smallest room in the house so you'd think it would be the easiest to paint, but that wasn't the case. It was pretty slow going because we had to disconnect the utility sink and pull the washer and dryer away from the wall. It was also pretty difficult to paint the wall behind the hot water heater, but I managed to do it with a long-handled paint brush. The color is called Fennel by Glidden, and is actually one shade lighter than the half-bath in our old house. Didn't I tell you there'd be no paint color surprises?


I realize this color may look similar to the bright green before of our guest bath, but it's a much more subtle shade of green, more of a light sage.

I used some of my great grandmother's china to hold items above the sink, and have my grandmother's sewing scissors handy to cut off tags or loose threads before throwing things in the wash.


One of my favorite additions to the room is these storage bins. We got the idea from Young House Love, who in turn got the idea from one of their readers. Thank goodness for blog inspiration, because these were the perfect solution! We use the top bin to hold wet laundry (mostly kitchen washcloths and dishtowels) and the bottom bin to hold our shoes. The bins are not made out of the most sturdy plastic, so the "shelf" on the top can't really be used to hold anything heavy (it bows a little in the middle). Other than that we're pleased with them.



I still need to make a new cover for my ironing board and figure out how to hang it (it's an old wooden board that belonged to my grandmother, and standard ironing board brackets won't hold it). We'd also like to build something or re-purpose a piece of furniture to conceal the litter box and create a drop spot for purses and bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment