Friday, May 25, 2012

New life for an old chair

We considered buying a glider or rocker for the nursery, but decided to recover a chair we already had, which belonged to my grandmother.

Before


I would have loved to keep the green fabric, and it would have even coordinated with the room, but it was in terrible shape. I did keep a piece of fabric from the back of the chair. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet...I'll have to think up a sewing project.


I considered reupholstering it myself, but the foam was falling apart and it needed a lot of work, so I brought it in to a local upholstery shop. I had it recovered in a tan linen and asked them to shorten the skirt to 4", instead of floor-length. The fabric and labor together cost $300. I think this chair will get a lot of use so I'm glad we had it done by a professional, and the neutral color will make it easy to fit into another room if we ever move it out of the nursery.

After...almost


After it was reupholstered, I gave the legs a coat of primer and a couple coats of white paint.

After

No comments:

Post a Comment