Saturday, July 12, 2014

Thanks from Minnie Millery!

A huge thanks to all my wonderful customers who helped Minnie Millery reach 100 sales! Enjoy 10% off any item in my shop, through August 12th, when you enter coupon code ONEHUNDRED.



Thursday, May 29, 2014

$26 Folding Floor Cushion


The idea of a folding floor cushion for kids is nothing new; I've seen several variations of this project online. However I still wanted to share because I think it's such a great project. To make my cushion, I loosely followed this tutorial by you and mie.


Materials and cost:
4 extra firm pillows: $24
1 full sized bed sheet or approximately 2 yards of fabric. I got a vintage sheet from the thrift store for about $1.
8 5/8" or larger buttons: $1

Total cost: $26

I made a few minor changes. Since my fabric was fairly thin, I ironed light-weight interfacing into both hems along the long side of the cushion cover, where the buttons would go.


It fits perfectly on the floor of Vera's closet, making a comfy place for some quiet reading. One of the best things about this cushion is all the different ways you can fold it. It would also make a great floor cushion for movie night.





Saturday, May 3, 2014

Bedrail Cover Tutorial


Vera has learned to climb out of her crib so she will be moving into a regular bed soon. We are skipping the toddler bed and going straight to a twin-sized bed with a bedrail. My mother-in-law found a bedrail for us at a rummage sale. It was in great shape but had a bright blue cover, not exactly the look I was going for. Luckily the cover was removable, and I made a simple slipcover for the rail out of unbleached cotton osnaburg (the same fabric I used for these projects).


Materials:
1 1/2 yards of fabric
21" (approx 3/4 yard) Velcro
Coordinating thread
Sewing machine
Fabric marking pen
Pins
Rotary cutter or scissors
Serger or pinking shears
Tape measure or ruler

Instructions:

All seams are 1/2" unless otherwise noted.
First, trace your existing cover, adding 1/2" to the sides and top and 1" to the bottom for seam allowance. Cut two, one for each side of the cover.



Press the bottom edges of both pieces 1/2" then another 1/2".


Increase your stitch length to 3.5 and edge stitch the bottom hem for one side of the cover only.

Measure the zipper on the bottom of the original cover. Mine measured 39" so I cut a strip of fabric 40" x 7" long. This will become a flap with velcro at the bottom of the cover. Fold the strip of fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together, and sew both short ends. Trim the seams, clip the corners, and turn right side out.


Take the other side of the cover, the one with the unsewn hem, and lay wrong side up. Tuck the raw edge of the flap into the bottom hem of the cover, making sure it is centered. Pin in place.


With your stitch length still set at 3.5, edge stitch the hem, sewing on top of the flap as you go.


With the cover still facing wrong side up, press the flap down toward the bottom of the cover.


Turn over so right side is facing up and pin flap in place. With your stitch length still set at 3.5, edge stitch.


This is how the cover will look from the right side (outside) once the flap is finished.



Pin the two main cover pieces together, right sides facing. (Make sure you set your machine back to its standard stitch length, usually 2.5. If you're unsure of the fit, you can first sew the two pieces together with a basting stitch, then test the fit on your bedrail frame before sewing together with a smaller stitch length). Sew the two pieces together along the sides and top, leaving the bottom side with the flap open. You can use either a serger or pinking shears to finish the seams.

Turn right side out.

Cut seven 3" lengths of velcro (both the hook and loop sides). The soft side will be attached to the main cover and the rough side will be attached to the flap. Mark the main cover 2" up from the bottom edge, spacing the marks 3" apart. Repeat for the flap, marking 1/2" from the outer flap edge.


Sew on the velcro.


Pull the cover over your bedrail frame and secure with velcro.




Monday, April 28, 2014

12" Baby Doll Dress and Bloomers- Free Pattern!

Vera's baby doll was in need of a new outfit, so I made her a dress and set of bloomers. When Vera woke up from her nap, I proudly showed her baby doll's new attire to her. "Vera, look what Mommy made for your baby!" to which she replied "Noooo!"and immediately removed the new dress and tried to put the old worn-out outfit back on. That girl does not like change. Fortunately, she warmed up to the new clothes after a few days and now loves dressing and undressing her doll.


This pattern was made to fit a 12" Waterbabies Doll but will fit most 12" dolls with a few minor modifications. I won't be providing a step-by-step tutorial with this pattern, but have included a few helpful tips. To get the pattern, simply right-click on the images below and save. Print at full scale.





Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Dress for Silent Auction

One of Zach's pharmacy school organizations recently held a silent auction. I donated one of my dresses and am happy to say it helped raise $40 for the organization!





Thursday, April 10, 2014

Giveaway at Dugans in Cahoots

Visit Dugans in Cahoots to read a featured artist post about Minnie Millery and learn more about my shop. You can also enter for a chance to win a Nora or Phil hand puppet!