Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Dress

For the past few months I've had an image in my head for a special holiday dress for Vera. I wanted a gold triangle print for the bodice, peter pan collar, and exposed gold zipper in the back.

I used Butterick's B5912 toddler dress pattern  (view B with the peter pan collar and puff sleeves). The pattern was fairly easy to follow but I had a lot of trouble with the collar. I've sewn peter pan collars before without any problems, but had to rip out the seams twice on the collar of this dress! I didn't love the size and shape of the collar either, so I made a few adjustments. I would probably draft my own collar next time. On the positive side, the sizing was accurate.

I wasn't able to find a metallic triangle print so I decided to make my own. I used DecoArt SoSoft Metallic Fabric Paint in Glorious Gold and made a stencil out of freezer paper. The nice thing about freezer paper is that one side is coated in wax, so you can iron it on to fabric and it will temporarily stick. It's perfect for stencils and cutting out shapes for appliques.

I used premium bleached muslin for the bodice and a cotton/polyester blend broadcloth for the skirt. The skirt looks somewhat gold in the pictures, but it's actually a warm green color...I believe it's called "Avocado".

And I couldn't resist making a coordinating hair clip. It's mistletoe!

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christening Gown

A friend (of a friend) had a baby girl a couple of months ago and asked if I could turn her wedding dress into a christening gown for her daughter. I thought it was such a sweet idea and was glad to help.

I used Burda Kids pattern 9649 . It's a very good pattern with easy to follow instructions and clear illustrations. However, the sizing does run a bit large.

I made a few modifications- a peter pan collar instead of a ruffle and extending the skirt lining to full length. I was able to make the gown entirely out of fabric from her wedding dress. The only thing not original to her wedding dress is the snaps.

I also made a matching bonnet (included in the same pattern).

They plan to use this gown for all of their children so I embroidered her daughter's name on the hem of the skirt lining, that way they can add each child's name as they wear it.