Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Tote Bag Sewing Kit

My eldest niece got her first sewing machine for Christmas this past year, so when thinking up ideas for her next birthday gift, I thought it would be fun to make her a sewing kit. 

Along with fabric, I included a spool of thread, pins, chalk, a button, and needle and thread for sewing on the button. All the fabric pieces were precut, and the straps and button hole presewn.

Cute thread card found here
I also made a mason jar pincushion to hold all the supplies, following this tutorial.

Happy sewing birthday girl!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

In the Garden

Yard-long beans, peas, beans, carrots, radish, tomatoes, okra.

We've also grown Red Rubin basil, Genovese basil, Cinnamon basil, lettuce, and jalapenos (not pictured). Our blackberry plant has grown quite a bit but has yet to produce any fruit...maybe next season.

Friday, July 20, 2012

39 weeks

Project Nursery: Nurseries and Parties We Love This Week

Our little girl's nursery is featured on Project Nursery today! Vote for your favorite nursery here.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pleated Zipper Pouch

I like to travel light, but know with baby on the way I'll be toting a lot more around, including a diaper bag.  To keep my personal items (the things I would usually carry in my purse) organized and easy to find, I made a zippered pouch to go inside the diaper bag. It keeps everything in one place and can be easily removed if I need to hand over the diaper bag to Zach.

I followed Skip to my Lou's Pleated Pouch Tutorial, enlarging the pattern to 150% since I needed my bag to be a bit larger (Finished size is approx 11" x 8.5"). I used leftover upholstery fabric from the nursery for the bag exterior and a cotton print for the lining. 

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Meet Harold!

My name's Harold, but my friends call me Harry.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Gum Drop Ottoman Take 2

A couple months ago I made a fun chevron print ottoman for the nursery, using Amy Butler's Gum Drop Pillow pattern.

I used the same pattern to make another ottoman for the sitting area in our bedroom. Those old curtain panels I used for the vanity curtain found a third use as fabric for the new ottoman.

Having made both a patterned and solid ottoman, this pattern definitely lends itself to a patterned fabric. It helps hide any lumpiness, if you have imperfect stuffing skills like me, and provides a little more interest. I think it would also look good made with two different patterned fabrics.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Vanity Curtain

As part of our mini bathroom remodel, I made a curtain for underneath the vanity.

I cut up an old curtain panel we were no longer using, hemmed the edges and added some white pom pom trim to the bottom.

To hang the curtain I came up with a super ghetto awesome idea for a curtain rod, using things we already had around the house- a dowel rod and two binder clips. I screwed the binder clips into the cabinet base and the wall, then wedged the dowel rod into the clips. I reasoned it didn't need to look nice since no one will ever see it, unless they decide to crawl underneath the vanity. Of course if you're willing to spend a few bucks you could just purchase a tension rod.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Medicine Cabinet

My mother in law gave us an old medicine cabinet, and with only two drawers in our master bathroom, I thought it would be a good way to add some additional storage space.


First, I primed and spray painted it with a few coats of Heirloom White.

After mounting it on the wall, I covered the inside backing with gift wrap and Mod Podge.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Master Bathroom: Before and After

You may remember our bright yellow bathroom. Yellow's not all bad, but this particular shade was anything but calming. 

Last weekend I couldn't stand it any more, and 9 months pregnant I decided the bathroom had to be painted (Don't worry, I made sure there was plenty of ventilation and wore a paint respirator the whole time). Let's just call it nesting.


Originally, we had planned to replace the cabinets and vanity and put in a second sink. In the end we decided that the money would be best spent elsewhere and settled on painting the room and replacing some of the hardware and fixtures.


The walls are painted a warm gray (Behr's Wheat Bread), the same color we used in our bedroom and kitchen.

We purchased a double towel bar, towel ring and faucet in a heritage bronze finish- it's similar to oil rubbed bronze but not quite as dark. We kept the existing light fixtures and I spray painted them to match. I couldn't find a spray paint that was an exact match, so I painted them with a few coats of hammered copper then misted them with a light coat of oil rubbed bronze spray paint to darken them a bit. We also replaced the cabinet drawer pulls.

Since we weren't replacing the cabinets, I made a curtain for underneath the vanity to create more concealed storage. We also hung a medicine cabinet between the two mirrors. I'll be posting more details about the vanity curtain and medicine cabinet soon.

I actually enjoy spending time in this room now, and am glad to have a calming, completed space!

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Maternity Photos

Here are some of our maternity photos, taken at 34 weeks by Kendra Martin Photography. I highly recommend her if you're in the Houston area. She was great to work with and we couldn't be more pleased with the photos!