Monday, July 2, 2012

Crib Skirt

I just checked off the last big sewing project on my nursery to do list, with only a few weeks to spare!

No detailed tutorial for this project, but the concept is fairly simple. First, I started by measuring the metal frame that holds the crib mattress, which came out to 51" x 26". The mattress is at the highest position now, but I wanted the skirt to just skim the floor when the mattress was at the lowest setting, a distance of about 10".

I cut out four panels for the sides of the skirt and one large panel for the top, adding a couple extra inches to my original measurements for seam allowances:

Two 53" x 11.5" panels for the long sides
Two 28" x 11.5" panels for the short sides
One 52" x 27" panel for the top

I hemmed the sides and bottom edges of the side panels and serged them onto the top panel. Then I sewed pom pom trim onto the bottom of each side panel.





8 comments:

  1. Adorable and I love any pom pom fringe

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the turquoise pom pom trim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much pom trim is needed? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought 5 yards of trim and had a small amount left over

      Delete
  4. How Many Yards Of Fabric Did You Buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought 6 yards of fabric to make both the ottoman (http://ournestingground.blogspot.com/2012/05/gum-drop-ottoman.html) and the crib skirt, and had a little left over for some other projects. The ottoman required 2.5 yards so I'd say it took about another 2 yards for the crib skirt? Not sure since I bought several yards for more than one project. It will also depend on the width of your fabric.

      Delete
  5. I have this exact fabric and crib for my nursery, but what is most freaky is my name is Sarah too!

    ReplyDelete